Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Money Is Not Everything

Tuesday September 23, 2008
Money is not everything for Zulmazran
KUALA LUMPUR: National bowler Zulmazran Zulkifli has given up a chance to make extra cash to help Malaysia win the elusive AMF World Cup which will be held in Mexico from Nov 7-15.
He has decided not to defend his title in the Taiwan Open from Oct 24-Nov 2 to concentrate on making good in his second appearance in the World Cup.
The winner of the Taiwan Open gets about RM20,000 while winning the World Cup is all about prestige and glory for the country.
Different priority: Zulmazran in search of glory for the country at the World Cup to be held in Mexico in November.
For Zulmazran, representing the country in the World Cup is more important.
“There is no prize money but there is special feeling when it comes to competing in this World Cup,” said Zulmazran.
“It was unfortunate that I did not make it memorable enough when I made my debut at the 2002 series in Latvia. I finished 11th despite having had a good lead on the first three days.
“Now, I have a chance to make amends for that poor showing.”
But more than that, Zulmazran is determined to make a breakthrough.
“No Malaysian has won the World Cup. I love achieving a feat that has not been done before. It is a personal challenge for me,” he said.
“After my below par performance at the World Championships (in Bangkok last month), I am working hard on improving my release of the ball. Coach (Holloway Cheah) is helping me to bowl the right way so that I will not aggravate my wrist injury,” added Zulmazran.
The flamboyant Zulmazran’s career almost came to standstill in 2001 due to a wrist injury. And he is not planning to travel down that painful path again.
Besides Zulmazran, the Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress (MTBC) also named Esther Cheah for the World Cup. Each country is allowed to send one man and one woman.
Since the championships’ inception in 1965, Malaysia’s best efforts were runner-up finishes by Michael Chuah (Mexico, 1983) and Shalin Zulkifli (Northern Ireland, 1996).

No comments: